Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Just stuck. Numb and hopeless.

Hi out there! My name is Ra'Chelle and this is my first time blogging. My blog is about infertility, and yes, did I mention I'm Mormon? I was inspired after reading the book Silent Soroity to start a blog about my process of dealing with infertility. Living in probably the MOST fertile state in the USA. (UTAH!!!) I'm constantly bombard with fat pregnant bellies. Reminders of what I desperatly want and may not be able to have. I got the idea for the name of this blog from a friend, who at the time 3+ years ago, before we started trying to get pregnant, told me joking. "We better hurry up before my eggs get cold and soggy." I was 27 at the time. Late start for a Mormon chick.

My husband and I have been trying to have a baby now for over three years. This has included a year of trying, followed by four months of clomid and Suprise! I'm pregnant! Oh, but wait, it's not the happy ending to the story I was told I would get. MISCARRAGE! At 10 weeks, we went in for my first check up. (On Halloween) The Dr. told me there was no heart beat. The baby had made it to 6 weeks. Ironically, around that 6 week marker, I was in a fertility yoga class. The yoga instructor told us to meditate and place one had over our heart and one hand on our belly and feel the connection of our heartbeats. I remeber thinking "I don't feel a heartbeat...that's probably because I'm new to this whole pregnancy thing and I still don't feel pregnant." Turned out I was right on connected to my body and what my dying baby was going through. Despite the greif from this horrible experience, being the optimist that I am, I thought: "Okay, so I got pregnant, I can do it again." We tried another 9 months taking the clomid, then switching to femara after a wierd visual psycadellic reaction to the clomid. It got to the point that I would need a break, but my strong desire to try would return and we would try again. At that point, my Dr. refered my husband and I to a fertility clinic. We went to the University of Utah. This was followed by three unsucessful IUI's and so far, one IVF, that pretty much didn't work. Another MISCARRAIGE! An empty sac...This time, the pain was and has been intense. On top of that, none of our other embryos made it far enough to be frozen. I didn't get that second chance I thought I would get. I know for some of you infertility veterans, three years may not seem like much, but it has been three years of hell. (Dealing with other issues including my spouse's in-and-out of employment with the crappy economy.)

I have often found myself praying and asking God when will things get better? When will life start turning around for us? Please let my husband get a good stable job. Please let me get pregnant (and actually have a healthy baby.) But we've just been stuck in a rut. Life not moving forward. Just stuck. Numb and hopeless. I try to count my blessings, which are many. But for most people, things like getting a job and getting pregnant just come natural and easy. Not for us. But one thing I can tell you. I've gotten really good at faking a smile.

8 comments:

  1. Oh Ra'Chelle you are breaking my heart! I am so sorry to hear about all the problems that you and you husband are facing. Try to keep your heads up. My sister-in-law went through almost the same thing. She got pregnant, no heart beat, followed by the miscarriage (on Thanksgiving). Second time, sac but no baby. She didn't end up miscarrying, she had to have a DNC because it would not pass on it's own. Third time finally was going well but started having contractions and bleeding half way through so they put her on bed rest for the rest of her pregnancy. They were blessed last week with a healthy baby boy, Dylan John. I don't know exactly what you are going through but I did experience the pain with my sister-in-law and hoping for a little niece or nephew. I hope that you continue to be strong, I will be thinking of you guys! Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ra'Chelle, my heart really grieves for you. I'm so sorry this is a trial that your family has to face. I know you did not start this blog wanting sympathy, you want an outlet, a chance to tell your story and share your perspective and I thank you for that. I have so many close friends that are going through the same thing and I appreciate the opportunity to gain further understanding and insight into how this effects families and more specifically, strong and valient and worthy covenant women. It helps me be a more compassionate person.

    Try and stay positive, like we say at work...fake it till you make it :) And you will make it in the end. It may be a different path than you would have planned but you will find yourself so happy and know that you learn priceless lessons along the way. I'm writing this piece of advice for myself too...perspective can change when you write things down :)

    My mom says hi and that she's thinking of you! I think this blog will be a good tool for you so keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Ra'Chelle, such a heartfelt blog, so much emotion was put into it, you could just feel it. I will keep you and your husband in my prayers. Thank you for sharing your story with us, I am sure it was not easy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ra'Chelle, so, thanks for sharing. I never thought of this so seriously, nor knew anyone who had to deal with this, its such a personal... um... experience. I am very sorry for your condition, and then feel a little sheepish that I don't want any kids. That's not fair for you. I remember you as one of the most positive people at school. A shame to think that smile of yours is now faked. Chin up sistah! I wish things work our for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ra'Chelle, I would just like to thank you for opening up and sharing your story with the world basically. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers as you and your husband continue on with your journey to start a family.I hope to read more and that your dreams have come true. Take care and god bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rachelle, I had no idea about the second miscarriage. I am so sorry. I am glad you started this blog. I have it on my list of blogs that I read on my blog now so I won't miss anything anymore. Take care and hang in there. Miss u.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw Row-shelly!!!! I love your blog. I'm sorry to hear about all the frustration. I will pray for you and I'll bet when the time is right, you will have the most adorable baby in the world. Stay strong...you are one of the sweetest people I've had the joy of knowing and you deserve the best. I love you and I'll be thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey thanks for posting this link on my FB. I'm sorry to hear about your beginnings, but people like you keep me hopeful!! You are welcome to check out my blog too and thanks again for opening up your journey to me!

    ReplyDelete