Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Injections

This week we started our injections for IVF #2. I can say that my apprehension has kicked in now. Not because I'm afraid of needles, but it all just seems like it is coming up so much sooner than our last IVF cycle. My acupuncture appointment helped calm me down thankfully. This time around we are doing an Antagonist protocol. The doctors usually use this protocol for people like me who are poor responders to the medications or have diminishing ovarian reserve. I have both those problems. The good thing about doing the antagonist protocol is that there are less injections. :) But because of that it does feel like it crept up on me too quickly. Now that I've finished the birth control pills (to help my body adjust to the hormone medications) Here is our schedule:

This week:
Start FSH and HGH hormone injections Monday. Daily Repronex, Siazem, and Gonadal RF Ultrasound Thursday to determine when to start Cetrotide. (to regulate)

Next week:
Week of egg retrieval. Continue injections until told my follicles are mature. HCG injection 24 hours before egg retrieval. Fingers crossed! Egg retrieval and ICSI done by embryologist. Babies being made in petri dish! Start Progesterone injection intramuscularly (Big Bertha needle!/ Crazy hormone. Cue the emotional tears.)

Following week:
Transfer week...a.k.a. Knock me Up!!! Depending on what the Doctor determines, we may do a day three embryo transfer as early as Sept 10th, or a day five embryo transfer as early as September 12th. (better odds with a day five transfer.) The days we do all this is closely monitored by the Doctors, and determined by what day my follicles are mature enough.

So far I am doing okay with the injections. They are tiny needles that go subcutaniously in my belly, so they aren't bad. The only one I don't like doing is the Repronex. I get red welts around the injection sit, which is a normal reaction, and it hits were my pants hit at my waist. Urr! But no bad reactions. I don't feel weird or emotional at all yet. Like I said earlier, I've been calm mostly up until now. That may change once I start the progesterone. I was crazy on that last time. But at least I'm prepared for that. LOTS of comedy movies!!! I just hope things go well. I hope my body responds well to the medication. I hope we are able to retrieve enough healthy eggs. I hope I don't go into ovarian hyperstimulation. I hope I don't have a lot of pain after my retrieval. I hope we have enough healthy embryos to cryopreserve. I hope my embryos will implant in a healthy location. I hope they implant the first time. I hope my body won't reject the embryos. I hope they grow. I hope God allows those spirits to join our family. I hope for twins. I hope I can carry them full term. I hope I won't have another miscarriage. I hope if I do get pregnant, that I will be able to enjoy being pregnant, and not stress out about having another miscarriage. I hope for healthy babies. I hope my doggies will like being a big brother and big sister. I hope Isabelle won't go into depression since she won't be the "baby" anymore. I know Sebastian will be okay. He loves kids.

I know what our odds are. The Doctors say it's about 60% successful, but that is a "human statistic." I know it is 100% up to God if this works. I'm just trying to do all I can do to fulfill his commandment. There is a scripture in the Book of Mormon, 1st Nephi, chapter 3, verse 7 "I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them." (thank you Kiersten Daines for pointing out this scripture in your book.) I don't know how our little spirit children are going to join our family: whether biological or adopted, I just know they are there, and I'm going to do whatever I can to get them to join our family. There are times when I can feel their presence.

1 comment:

  1. What an encouraging post!Love to hear the hopefulness in your blog. :) I will be praying for you!!! Best of luck during all of this needle work, It's super amazing how that whole process works. I pray that all your prayers be answered! Lots of Love!

    SK

    ReplyDelete